A boring Sunday night, devoid of any homework or otherwise useful work led me to create another holster. This one is a bit of a test. I wanted to see how my rivets would work, and I wanted a simple "Wild West"-esque holster. "True Grit" can be blamed for this desire. Wonderful movie, I would recommend it. I discovered that you need to be sure that the back of the leather is completely level for it to wet-form well. If you look down the barrel, there are several slight inconsistencies caused by the rough backside not being completely level. Perhaps this could be fixed with a razor, or with sandpaper.
In this holster, I have learned how to properly distribute dye. The way I accomplished this is by heavily diluting my leather dye in a small tub. Multiple layers of dye darken the finish, until what you see here, or darker. It is not a 100% perfectly even dye job, but much better than my previous attempt.
As you can probably tell by the orange tip, this is also an airsoft replica. This particular one is a TSD 6" Revolver. If I remember correctly, it is based loosely on the Colt Anaconda. The stitching was actually made possible with the diamond punch set on this holster, rather than drilling. Using the four prong punch I spaced out the holes, and drove the single prong punch all the way through. Allegedly this allows the leather to "close up around" the thread. I also did a better job of grooving the stitches below the level of the leather, to decrease wear and tear.
This last picture shows the major weakness of this holster - The right beltloop (Slot? Belt Slot?) is cut far too close to the edge of the leather. I had to cut down the holster so as to get a proper draw on the revolver, and dumbly forgot to check the spacing on the belt loop. I will be sure to watch out for this in future builds. The belt slots were cut in a different manner than my previous holster, as well. Rather than two drilled holes and box-cutters to cut it out, I used a homemade punch consisting of a wooden dowel and a single-edged razor blade. My first attempt to cut leather with this homemade punch snapped the razor in half. The blade is much sharper than I expected, and very little force is required for clean cuts. Unfortunately I failed to pre-drill the holes at the edges, which would have made it possible to have nearly perfect belt slots. Next holster, I will be sure to remedy this.
Posted by Admin at 23:41