A New Beginning

With the summer here, and only about eight hours of work per week, I've found myself with more opportunities than ever to put random stuff, as well as projects, up on this blog. My aim is to update this once a week, for at least the next nine weeks.

Current list of projects, which may make an appearance:
  • Chain Maile (Soda can tabs, possibly actual rings later)
  • Great Helm (Sheet metal)
  • Ghillie Suit
  • Assassin's Creed Hidden Blade (Aluminum, Leather)
  • IWB Holster (Leather)
  • Messenger bag (Black Canvas, green nylon)
  • Pepakura Helmets (Halo CQB, Recon, ODST)
  • Painted/Modded Buzz Bee Rapid Fire Rifle
  • 3Ds Max tests
To kick things off, I have begun progress on a new ghillie suit. This will be the second suit I have created as the first one blended rather poorly, and was not constructed in the proper manner. Only three colors of burlap/jute were used; tan, dark brown, and dark bluish-green. This color combination was too highly contrasted, and did not blend well in my area. For the sake of documentation, I will post pictures of it, at some point. It consists of a Flecktarn jacket and hood, but no pants. The new ghillie is planned to be a two part suit, jacket and pants. The hood will be attached to the jacket via paracord loops. Instead of Flecktarn, a pair of old woodland BDUs will be used.

There are no pictures of shredding the burlap, however the dyeing process was photographed. I used Rit Dye, and my kitchen stove. An old camping pot held enough water and burlap, and was considered "expendable" for the purposes of dyeing. The entire process took two days, June 4th and 5th.
Please forgive the timestamp, I had to borrow a camera. The burlap was shredded into jute strands, and occasionally cut into strips. The Jute to Burlap ratio is approximately 5:2. The box pictured above is an example of the five containers the burlap was separated into.
The five containers, after one has been put through the dye.
I had a lovely assistant give me fistfuls of burlap, mostly strands, but some strips were included in each batch.
When the burlap came out, it would look something like this. It was still half wet, a problem which I will address in a moment.
That's how it looked finished. One light green, one dark green, one green/brown hybrid, one light brown, and one dark brown.
To take care of the wetness, I tried laying the tubs in the sun, on the afternoon of June 5th. Unfortunately, it was still wet. So, on the 6th, I spread the wet burlap out on a tablecloth.
In direct sunlight, the colors look better than under the artificial orange glow of my kitchen.
This green, while still a little blue tinted in some parts, is much nicer than my last attempt.
The light browns are completely new. I'm rather excited for putting the garnish on this suit.

To finish this project, I need to find more BDU pants, as well as a fishnet to sew to the BDUs. A trip to a local Army Surplus store and Walmart are tentatively planned for the 7th or 8th. While canvas padding is suggested to keep the front of the suit from wearing, I may postpone installing the padding until after the burlap has been attached.

So, post your comments, your project suggestions, anything you'd like. Go ahead, I want to hear from you, the viewers.